The Chicks

The Chicks
Shoo Shoo & Jenaroo

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

I (we) am (are) Superwoman, yes I am, yes I am


Something profound came to me today. A fellow single friend (okay, it's Jenaroo) and I were emailing today -- as we do all day damn near every day -- and she seemed to be feeling blue. I couldn't quite put my finger on what had her feeling this way, and I don't think she could either. But for whatever reason, I was instantly reminded of a conversation that another (single) friend and I had the day before. We had been out for the night, having some cocktails, having some fun. She met a guy. He didn't particularly seem her type, nor did he seem as though he was sweeping her off her feet. However, as the night went on, she seemed more and more drawn to him -- shocking to me only because this particular friend is rather picky when it comes to the men she spends her time with. The next day we were reminiscing on the previous night's events and she said something that really hit me. She said, "You know, what got me was that at one point he grabbed my hand and he led me through the bar. So for one second, I didn't have to make the decisions, I didn't have to think."
While seemingly insignificant -- even trivial -- this really hit home. After being single for a period of time, is there a yearning inside of us that longs for someone else to be in control? Does feeling warm and fuzzy inside when a member of the opposite sex does something as simple or mediocre as walk ahead of you in a crowded bar mean we are compromising our standards? Settling? Then I realized that although, on many levels, it's great and empowering being single -- free of relationship stress/drama/etc. -- it's also very wearing to take on EVERY aspect of your life alone. It can be a LOT, even downright overwhelming, dealing with it all on your own -- bills, money, a home, family, health, your family's health, friends, stress, etc., etc. I am by no means saying that those who are in a relationship lack stress. Hell, they probably have more. And I know most gals have absolutely stellar friends with whom they can share these stresses with, however, sometimes it's just not the same as having someone call, text, email, whatever you wanting to hear how YOU are. How YOUR day was. Or simply just to hear YOUR voice. It makes you feel good. Even warm and fuzzy.

We do a lot as single gals, and we mustn't forget to give credit where credit is due. We take on the world by ourselves. Every day. So you know what, if I want to allow a dude to lead me through a bar, even if it's just so I don't have to make the executive decision of where I am going to sit, then damn it, I'm gonna do it. Every lady likes a little break. And a little chivalry. Even if it's for 30 seconds.

xo,
Shoo Shoo

No comments:

Post a Comment